May 15, 2018, SANTA ROSA, CA – For more than 20 years, American AgCredit has proudly sponsored the Sonoma Section FFA Project Competition, providing local high school students opportunity to gain recognition and scholarship. The 2018 Annual Awards Ceremony was held May 14, 2018 at John Ash & Co. Event Center. Big winners included Dillon Dunkel of Healdsburg FFA, the overall winner in the junior division with his market steer and market hog projects. Ariel Scholten of Sebastopol FFA was named the overall winner in the senior division with her work experience, sheep, and fruit tree projects. The American AgCredit scholarship went to Kelsey Martin of Petaluma FFA who will be attending UC Davis in the fall to pursue a career in veterinary research.
Competition judges, experienced representatives from American AgCredit, evaluated participants on their knowledge of their project, how well their project relates to his or her career plans and their degree of involvement in the project. Students were also judged on the neatness and accuracy of their record keeping and their appearance and presentation during the interview process.
Participants and their awards are as follows:
- Sebastopol FFA winners: Kiley Andersen, gold; Jake Lepori, gold; Austin Maners, gold; Marissa Pendleton, gold; Ariel Scholten, gold, Shantel Shaw, silver; Olivia Williams, gold.
- Elsie Allen FFA winners: Athena Benitez, silver; Alejandra Enriquez, gold; Blaine Mills, gold; Maritza Ortiz, silver; Angel Ruano, silver; Enrique Saldana, gold; Lillian Weynand, silver.
- Healdsburg FFA winners: Jacqueline Doherty, silver; Dillon Dunkel, gold; Madison Foppiano, silver; Emilly Hambly, gold; Viviana Madgaleno, gold; Ian Plum, silver; Lola Plum, gold; Ashley Remillard, silver.
- Petaluma FFA winners: Audrey Arntz, silver; Clayton Arntz, gold; Amanda King, gold; Kelsey Martin, gold; Derrick Pomi, gold; Mellissa Rocha, silver; Rachel Spaletta, gold; Dena Tunzi, gold.
- Sonoma FFA winners: Kasia Jacobson, gold; Gabriella Lucatero, silver; Francesco Pharo, gold; Deangelo Robledo, silver; Jennifer Torres, gold.
- St Helena FFA winners: Jayson Adkins, gold; Lisa Butala, silver; Kaitlyn Glakeler, gold; Adanari Rios, gold; Marilyn Wilms, silver; Mitchell Wilms, gold.
- Tomales FFA winners: Preston Costanzo, gold; Travis Franceschi, silver; Danny McDonald, silver.
# # #
About American AgCredit
Founded in 1916, American AgCredit is part of the nationwide Farm Credit System, and is the nation’s fifth largest Farm Credit cooperative. American AgCredit specializes in providing financial services to agricultural and rural customers throughout California, Nevada, Kansas, Oklahoma, Colorado, and New Mexico – as well as to capital markets customers throughout the country.
Financial services provided by American AgCredit include production and mortgage financing, equipment and vehicle leasing, crop and life insurance, lines of credit, and the Young, Beginning and Small Farmer Program. In addition, the Association provides interest-free financing for qualifying 4-H and FFA AgYouth programs, as well as college scholarships to young people interested in agriculture. Learn more at www.AgLoan.com.